|"Ask the Dust"|
|Season 4, Episode 1|
|Release date||April 13, 2018|
|Written by||John Mankiewicz & Daniel Pyne|
|Directed by||Aaron Lipstadt|
| ← previous|
"The Sea King"
| next →|
"Dreams of Bunker Hill"
The episode premiered on Amazon Instant Video along with the rest of the fourth season on 13 April 2018.
The episode is rated TV-MA for "adult content, adult language," and "graphic violence."
Attorney Howard Elias is working late into Friday evening at his Bradbury Building offices. He is deep into his preparation for the upcoming Black Guardian trial involving the alleged torture of his client, child abduction suspect Michael Harris, by LAPD Robbery Homicide Detectives. Elias practices his opening statement to an audience of one; his jury consultant Pamela Duncan.
Irvin Irving convenes with city officials preparing to receive Elias to collect a settlement on the Black Guardian case. Irving is joined by Mayoral Chief of Staff Jen Kowski, Jacob Lamb and city attorney Missy Edwards. They are surprised when Elias' sends his junior Alex Kaplan to the meeting and Lamb immediately refuses to hand over the settlement if Elias is not there in person. Kaplan relishes announcing that Elias is no longer accepting the settlement offer and intends to take the case to trial.
Harry Bosch attends a fundraiser for affordable housing linked to Police Commissioner Bradley Walker. Bosch assumes the identity of businessman Phil Gentry, an acquaintance from Maddie's school, to pick up his invitation to the benefit. Walker leaves to take a phone call and Bosch makes his way to the bar.
Kaplan returns to Elias' office and amuses his boss with the story of the city officials reaction. Duncan makes her excuses and leaves. Kaplan complains to Elias that he wants to sit in court as the second chair attorney but Elias refuses, saying that he has not yet earned that privilege. Elias receives a text message on his phone and rattles off a summary of police brutality cases nationwide bemoaning the lack of oversight in most forces. Kaplan realises that he is considering changing his opening statement to include this information and encourages him to maintain focused on the Black Guardian case.
Elias leaves the office on foot and makes his way to Angels Flight. As the train ascends the hill Elias hears a popping sound and there is a flash of light at the top of the tracks. He is momentarily concerned but relaxes as the train noisily continues its journey. Elias goes to step out of the carriage at the upper deck but is surprised by someone. He raises his hand to protect himself and is shot through his palm. He falls to the ground and tries to crawl away, further into the train. Another shot into his backside ends his struggle.
Jerry Edgar looks over his garden at night, it is still showing the signs of the shootout that injured him weeks earlier. Latonya emerges from his house and asks him to come in - the two have started to reconcile and work on their marriage.
Maddie Bosch attempts to reach her step father Reggie Woo via Skype but is unable to get an answer.
Eleanor Wish plays poker at the Black Jack Lounge casino. She easily navigates a hand against an inebriated patron to claim the pot with a pair of eights against his weak ace. She observes the arrival of a pair of Chinese high rollers and shares a glance with Special Agent Chuck Deng - she is working an FBI assignment.
Bosch shares a drink with Gentry, who complains about his stolen invitation. Bosch offers sympathy but does not admit to being responsible. Gentry gripes about being retired to expend the $1000 per plate dinner, calling it hypocritical. As a Mariachi band strikes up Gentry decides his night is over and leaves. Bosch gets a call from Chief Irving about the Elias murder and heads over to the scene.
Bosch gathers information at the scene. He finds veteran coroner's investigator Gary Potter inside the carriage with the body and listens to his initial findings. Bosch wonders why Elias was using Angels Flight as his house is in Baldwin Hills. He talks to Captain Garwood from RHD.
KTK stalks a group on a late night bike ride. He uses an arcade between Spring Street and Main Street to catch up to the cyclist and tackles the last of the group, knocking him from his bike. He rides away on his fresh wheels.
LaTonya awakes early at Jerry's place, planning to return to her home before their boys awaken and realise she spent the night. Jerry helps her locate her phone, noting that she knocked it under the bed while performing a particularly acrobatic sexual manoeuvre earlier that night. She checks that he is still ok to cover an open house event for her realty business later in the day.
Bosch and Snyder visit the Elias home to inform Elias' wife, Millie, about his death. The family believe an LAPD officer must be responsible and are extremely hostile. Irving calls Bosch to ensure the notification has taken place. Irving presses Bosch to confirm that the case was likely a robbery but Bosch tells him he is unable to do so, relaying that the watch and wallet were likely removed from the scene by the RHD detectives to create that impression.
Irving prepeares to give a statement to the press about the murder. Police Information Officer counsels that they can still factually tell the assembled reporters that the wallet and watch had been removed from the scene and allow them to draw their own conclusions.
- Titus Welliver as Harry Bosch
- Jamie Hector as Jerry Edgar
- Amy Aquino as Grace Billets
- Sarah Clarke as Eleanor Wish
- Madison Lintz as Maddie Bosch
- and Lance Reddick as Irvin Irving
- John Getz as Bradley Walker
- Paul Calderon as Detective Santiago "Jimmi" Robertson
- Clark Johnson as Howard Elias
- Troy Evans as Detective "Barrel" Johnson
- Gregory Scott Cummins as Detective Robert "Crate" Moore
- Jamie McShane as Detective Francis Sheehan
- David Hoflin as Detective Doug Rooker
- Scott Klace as Sergeant John Mankiewicz
- DaJuan Johnson as Detective Rondell Pierce
- Barry Shabaka Henley as Terry Drake
- Winter Ave Zoli as Amy Snyder
- Tamberla Perry as Detective Gabriella Lincoln
- Yancey Arias as Mayor Hector Ramos
- Daya Vaidya as Jen Kowski
- John Marshall Jones as Special Agent Jay Griffin
- Anne Dudek as Pamela Duncan
- Deidrie Henry as Millie Elias
- Quincy Fouse as Martin Elias
- Jerry MacKinnon as Alex Kaplan
- David Barrera as Detective Stan Pipes
- William Russ as Captain John Garwood
- Louis Ozawa Changchien as Chuck Deng
- Ingrid Rogers as Latonya Edgar
- Erich Anderson as Phil Gentry
- Nanrisa Lee as Tiffany Hsu
- Scott Alan Smith as Jacob Lamb
- Jason Rogel as Detective Jeremy Fix
- Chen Tang as Ken Lin
- Monti Sharp as KTK
- Joni Bovill as Ida
- Misty Monroe as Missy Edwards
- Christine Weatherup as PIO Shayda Miller
- Andrew Chen as Tian Jun Gu
- Barry Livingston as Gary Potter, Medical Examiner
- Michael Dunn as Aaron Fagen
- Eric Christie as Buck
- Steven Lee Allen as Detective Bob Flynn - Central Division
- Laura Schiff CSA - Casting
- Carrie Audino CSA - Casting
- Helen Geier CSA - Casting
- Jesse Voccia - Music
- Tom Bernardo - Producer
- Titus Welliver - Producer
- Jeffrey Fiskin - Consulting Producer
- Henrik Pabst - Executive Producer
- Jan David Frouman - Executive Producer
- John Mankiewicz - Executive Producer
- Elle Johnson - Executive Producer
- Pieter Janne Brugge - Executive Producer
- Henrik Bastin - Executive Producer
- Michael Connelly - Executive Producer
- Eric Overmyer - Executive Producer
- Daniel Pyne - Executive Producer
- Michael Connelly - Based on the books by
- Eric Overmyer - Developer
- John Mankiewicz - Writer
- & Daniel Pyne - Writer
- Aaaron Lipstadt - Director
- Mark Douglas - Producer
- Jamie Boscardin Martin - Producer
- Francesco Tignini - Unit Production Manager
- Trey Batchelor - First Assistant Director
- Robert Parker Clemente - Second Assistant Director
- Patrick Cady, ASC - Director of Photography
- Chester Kaczenski - Production Designer
- Steven Cohen, ACE - Editor
- Monique Adams - Costume Designer
- Paul Schreiber - Supervising Location Manager
- Marc Dabe - Art Director
- Betty Berberian - Set Decorator
- Elizabeth Marighetto - Script Supervisor
- Tim Marcia - Technical Consultant
- Mitzi Roberts - Technical Consultant
- "(Bosch 4x01)"
|(S3) • Bosch Season Four episodes • (S5)|
|"Ask the Dust" • "Dreams of Bunker Hill" • "Devil in the House" • "Past Lives" • "The Coping"|
"The Wine of Youth" • "Missed Connections" • "Dark Sky" • "Rojo Profundo" • "Book of the Unclaimed Dead"