The Gods of Guilt is the 26th novel written by Michael Connelly, and the fifth novel featuring Los Angeles defense attorney Mickey Haller. The book will be published by Little, Brown and Company on United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand on 21 November 2013, and in the United States and Canada on 2 December 2013.
Mickey Haller gets the text, “Call me ASAP — 187,” and the California penal code for murder immediately gets his attention. Murder cases have the highest stakes and the biggest paydays, and they always mean Haller has to be at the top of his game.
When Mickey learns that the victim was his own former client, a prostitute he thought he had rescued and put on the straight and narrow path, he knows he is on the hook for this one. He soon finds out that she was back in LA and back in the life. Far from saving her, Mickey may have been the one who put her in danger.
Haunted by the ghosts of his past, Mickey must work tirelessly and bring all his skill to bear on a case that could mean his ultimate redemption or proof of his ultimate guilt.
- Thick flashing flames a light unusual gave
- And sudden shone around the gloomy cave;
- Dreadful the gods of guilt before him stood,
- And Marius terrible in future blood.
A sneak preview of the first two chapters of the novel were made available through Facebook on 25 March 2013. A free preview of the first eight chapters was later made availabe through Amazon.com on 7 October 2013.
- Amazon.com product page
- MichaelConnelly.com page
- "Michael Connelly explains 'The Black Box,' Tampa author's 25th book," Colette Bancroft, Tampa Bay Times, 8 December 2012.
- "Michael Connelly on the Book He Had To Stop Writing," Nathan Rostron, BOOKish, 4 February 2013.